The Historic Butteville Store was founded about 1863 and became most famous as the J.J. Ryan Store with it’s accompanying saloon featuring Henry Weinhard Beer. It is the oldest continuously operating retail establishment in the state of Oregon. The Store property was acquired by Oregon Parks & Recreation Dept. in 1999 and is now part of Champoeg State Park. It is operated by Friends of Historic Butteville and is open as a café featuring hand-crafted Half Pint Brothers Ice Cream in the summer, is also French Prairie’s Acoustic Music Venue with Dinner & Live Music every Saturday in the summer and on the first and third Saturdays during the winter. Friends of Historic Butteville has also restored the Historic Butteville Landing providing the public with no charge access to the Willamette River, and is working to install a small paddle craft dock. Learn more at www.butteville.org.
Historic Sites in French Prairie
A Photo Gallery